Presented by Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Overlake Hospital Medical Center, and Healing Journeys
Friday, September 23, 2011
9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Bastyr University Auditorium
14500 Juanita Dr. NE
Kenmore, WA 98028
There is wide agreement that one of the most important things we can do to support and promote our own health is to give our bodies the nutrients it needs. There are many theories of nutrition out there, and we need to know what science has discovered that will aid in recovery and prevent recurrence. Jeanne Wallace is an expert on evidence-based nutritional and botanical support for wellness.
We also need to know how to translate that science into the meals that come out of our kitchens. Rebecca Katz is re-defining the concept of health-supportive cuisine in a way that’s proving deliciously irresistible to patients and professionals alike. Using equal parts warm kitchen-table wisdom and credible scientific knowledge, Rebecca has helped thousands of people improve their health as they battle chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and obesity. She will provide the practical help with healthy eating that you have asked for.
Jeanne Wallace, PhD, CNC, is widely regarded as one of the nation’s most prominent experts in nutritional oncology. She is the Director of the Nutritional Solutions Consulting Group, providing evidence-based consulting to cancer patients throughout the U.S. and abroad since 1997. She is an independent consultant to oncologists and other healthcare providers, lectures widely at cancer conferences, and provides educational training to integrative cancer centers. Her unique focus is on empowering individuals to harness the power of simple diet and lifestyle changes to modulate the Oncometabolic Milieu, a cluster of nutritional and metabolic factors that translational research has shown can influence the growth and progression of cancer. A locavore who loves to cook healthy gourmet meals, she has a thriving edible landscape, replete with organic vegetables, medicinal and culinary herbs, edible flowers, and an orchard of rare and heirloom fruits (over 60 cultivars). www.nutritional-solutions.net
Rebecca Katz, MS is the author of The Cancer Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing Big Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Beyond and One Bite at a Time: Nourishing Recipes for Cancer Survivors and Their Friends. She consults, lectures and does culinary demonstrations for leading health-care institutions including University of California San Francisco and Stanford Cancer Center. She is the Senior Chef at Commonweal Cancer Help Program in Bolinas, California. She holds a Master of Science degree in Health and Nutrition Education and received her culinary training from the Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts. www.rebeccakatz.com
My approach to health supportive foods is that they must taste great—i.e., be flavor driven—in order to be nourishing and healing. Put another way, it’s the power of “yum” that reinforces the desire to eat well. ~Rebecca Katz~
Who Should Attend
- Anyone wanting to promote healing of mind, body, and spirit.
- Women and men touched by cancer or any life-altering.
- People supporting friends or family coping with cancer or
- Healthcare providers.
At this Workshop you will learn:
- diet strategies that strengthen the body’s resistance to cancer, complement medical care, and bolster recovery after treatment;
- what specific foods can significantly boost the body’s innate ability to resist cancer;
- to utilize standard lab testing to evaluate nutritional factors that may influence cancer outcomes;
- which foods are most important to avoid (and explore healthy substitutes);
- how some foods (and spices) can alter gene expression, turning off cancer-promoting signals;
- to compare conflicting data and controversial claims of various anti-cancer diets and dietary supplements from a non-dogmatic, evidence-based model;
- how to use flavor carriers to create healthy food that tastes great and is good for you;
- how to minimize the costs of food while maximizing health;
- what kitchen equipment is the safest and most cost effective to have in your kitchen.